Friday, May 9, 2008

Living My Dream or Today I Played Tag

I just got back from Connor's school where I volunteer for 1/2 hour of morning recess on Friday morning. I've been a somewhat unreliable volunteer this year because sometime this winter I got "busy" with "stuff" on Friday mornings and missed every other week or so. This Spring I got my momentum back and today I had an especially great time playing tag with the kids.

Every once in awhile I get the feeling that I ought to do something really "important" with my life. It's one of those nagging feelings that says "there's more than just this." Today while playing tag I had the opposite feeling. It was one of those moments when I felt really fulfilled and happy, so I'm writing it down quick so that I can remember. I think going in to Connor's school for recess is one of the more "important" things that I do. It gives me a chance to meet his friends, play tetherball, fill my volunteer hours, and most importantly show Connor my love.

Today he showed me a new game, line tag. It's tag, but you have to stay on the lines painted on the playground asphalt. My heart raced as I ran from the kids, I lauged out loud when they tagged me, and my adrenaline rushed as I ran away. I found myself smiling the whole time. In short, I felt like a kid again and I felt connected to my own kid.

Yesterday I read a post by Leslie Householder, author of the Jackrabbit factor, from emails that I get through her thoughtalive program. She mentioned that her "dream" has been to be a stay-at-home mom. Now as she lives her dream, folding laundry, helping kids with homework, making dinner, and cleaning the counter she fills fulfilled and happy. http://tinyurl.com/4tm59b

It was a great reminder to me that I'm also living my dream. I've been cleaning house, worrying about children getting along with others, deciding how to proceed with piano lessons, hoping my kids will finish math assignments etc. It's all worth it. All the "problems" I have are exactly the kind of problems I want. Sure sometimes I wish I didn't have problems, but that kind of thinking doesn't help me much. Life=problems or else we couldn't be happy and grow. I'm learning that being grateful for my problems stengthens me.

I'm especially grateful today, because today I played tag.

1 comment:

The Barbers said...

Thanks for that Jen!