Friday, May 23, 2008

Surviving and Beyond

Ok, so my sister and her 5 kids moved in with us last week. It's a temporary stop for them while her husband starts a new entreprenuerial dream of his in a town very far away from where they used to live.

So we now have 11 people under one roof, 12 tonight, because JD is home for Memorial Day weekend.

When Courtney asked me what she could do to make this a "win-win" situation somehow I was able to come up with a few answers.

I wanted to have help planting a garden, because since we've been in this house I've only put in a few tomato plants in containers, or next to the bushes, but nothing I thought of as a formal garden. Now we can cross this one off the list, because today we were able to make a container box from wood we bought and have already planted tomatoes, zuchinni, green pepper and sweet pea. Somebody wish us luck with this. I'm hoping my thumb turns green quickly in the few months.

My other win would be to have a house of order. Courtney and Jd and incredible parents when it comes to teaching their children discipline, respect, and work. Their kids are nice to each other too. Infact, I've already seen Courtney sit them on the couch next to each other and have them sing together once when they weren't getting along. See, this is the kind of stuff I want help with.
I realized though, that as much as I'd like Courtney to do the hard work of getting my children to behave as well as hers it's still my job and I'm stuck with it. So I guess I'll be living and learning for the next few months in hope that I can get some really great habits.

6 comments:

The Barbers said...

Wow! That is quite a house full. Have fun!

Tavia said...

I saw your sister on Sunday. Keep me posted on the garden and good luck with the kids;-) Even if it's a little crowded, just use this time to make memories from an opportunity you maybe wouldn't have had!

Ash said...

You must be having so much fun that you can't answer your phone. Call me.

Natalie said...

every summer my mom's house fills up for a month with my sisters family of 6 and my brothers family of 7. it is crazy, but so much fun. My mom's theory is just not to let every mess bug her. good luck!

Molly said...

You are a saint, and a role model. Leave it to you to find the good in everything that comes your way. You are always so good at looking for opportunities to better yourself, your family and all those around you. I'm sure you are all going to have a blast.

Hama Roska said...

That is a house full! Drew and I were thinking if you have 11 what's another 2 more? ;) Just kidding Jen.

Here's wishing you luck. Gardening has been a learning experience for me and I find it really rewarding when something good comes from it.