Monday, January 19, 2009

A conversation with my mom

My mom is here for a few days visiting from TX. We had a conversation the other night that went something like this.

Mom: It's depressing here. We've had some cold days in Texas when it got down in the '50's, but THIS is much colder and more miserable.

Me: Yea, I know it's like 25 degrees out.

Me: But, Mom, the weather isn't that bad here if you really embrace it. I'm finding ways to enjoy being out in the mountains and it's amazing. Like, when I was out snowshoeing. It was awe inspiring. You really have to get out above the inversion where you can enjoy the beauty of it. Immerse yourself in it and it's not so bad.

Mom: I think that's what I've been trying to tell you about your life right now. Stop fighting against everything you hate about it and embrace it.

Me: Hmmm.

I haven't said this to her yet, but...I know you're right mom. Thanks.

So, how can I get working full-time to feel more like snowshoeing up a beautiful mountain and less like getting splashed by cars as they go whizzing by me as I trudge through the streets?

5 comments:

JED MAIL said...

To answer your question, read Ashley's post again. I wake up to the same old stuff every day, go to the same office every day, deal with the same worn-out trucks and buses every day, but I look for things that either amaze or delight me every day. It's a matter of setting your vision. I have bad days, too, but that's why I married your mom. She just tells me to get over it. She's right.
Grampy.

Jenn said...

Grampy means this post
http://mikeandash.blogspot.com/2009/01/knuckle-less-hands.html

Ash said...

It's good advice from both Grammy and Grampy no matter who are or what's going on with you.

Happy Birthday Jen! Ya know the same year you turn 40- I turn 30. Just thought about that.

Love you, Ash

Seivert/Webb Family said...

Hi Jen,

Sounds like you and I have similar lives right now, but I am in a better "phase" with A LOT of prayer and pleading.

Life is hard. It Ebb's and flow's. Things will get better, they always do.

Corinne said...

I think you are amazing! Look at you learning so much when times are tuff. Your life is hard and it's not what you expected.....if it was a piece of cake or a walk in the park we'd all be a bunch of stupids and worse, clueless spoiled brats. How horrible. Of couse that is not our Father in Heaven's plan. He want's us to be happy, but he know's that true happiness does not come easy. We have to learn some tuff stuff to feel true joy. You know this more than anybody that in this life we have to hold on to those moments. Those precious moments where we do feel that joy....and then in between those moments...do our best to enjoy the journey. You are wonderful gal and you are going to make it! Just keep smiling!! Love, Corinne