Saturday, January 24, 2009

I've Been Screaming for a Candy Bar

"Who are you? And what have you done with my mother?" Those are Collin's words last night when I bought ice cream, root beer, and then let each child pick their own candy to eat while we watched a video.

My only excuse for my uncharacteristic behavior? I've been living my life lately like a child.

Not just any child. I've been living like a child who is screaming in the grocery store for a candy bar. And I've been loud, angry, and indignant that I'm not getting what I want. Perhaps if I indulge my children I'll feel less pain. Maybe?

Or...(unrelated to candy)

I've been living like the Jews during the New Testament looking for a "Saviour" but not recognizing him in my midst.

I've been wanting desperately for someone to come and "SAVE" me from all my problems.

Thank goodness, it's times like these that help me remember that Christ IS my personal Saviour who will be with me through all my problems.

Today I felt God's love in my life. It's always there, I just don't always feel it. I felt forgiveness where I'd been carrying anger. I felt gratitude where I'd been holding grudges. And I felt peace instead of the anxiety that's been plaguing me.

"I can do all things in Christ, who strengthenth me."

And so can you when you put your faith in Him.

Candy, root beer, and ice cream are optional.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful thoughts. Thanks for sharing. I'll never watch my kids screaming for a treat in the same way again. I won't be able to help thinking of myself so many times.

Andrew said...

This are words that have hit home in a powerful way. I think that I needed to know that candy bars, ice cream and root beer are optional. You have given me the perspective that I needed right now. Thank you!

Tavia said...

I've so had days, weeks, months like this! I think I'm in need of a Fast Break, with a heap of Almond Joy...not to mention a PayDay. Then again, just hand over the Life Savers.

Jenn said...

My mom shared these words after reading this post:
You were a stubborn two year old too. You would actually wait to throw your temper tantrums until we got inside the store. It was always so embarrassing. If I would try to pick you up, you would bring up your legs and become a dead weight. (It's interesting how this is so instinctive to little children because they all do it.)

However, once I figured out to always put you in a shopping cart no matter how short of time I would be there for, that helped a lot. Oh you would still cry & flail as much as possible to get whatever it was you wanted, but it was easier to pretend that it wasn't affecting me. One time you stopped in the middle of your tirade because I wasn't responding to you and you asked me, "Are you ignoring me?" And I answered, "Yes, I'm ignoring you". I guess you believed me, even though I was at breaking point myself because you stopped crying and just enjoyed the rest of the ride through the store. I'll never forget that. It wasn't too long after that, that the tantrums started to diminish because I found this technique worked the best for me. After that, if you wanted to cry and throw a fit you were welcome to do that in the privacy of your bedroom where no one else had to listen. I believe this was the practice I continued to use with all the kids, You personally were about 4 maybe 5 when you finally out grew tantrums. Hmmmm? Perhaps I scarred you for life? Mom

Natalie said...

You are a really good writer! I've been feeling the same way a lot more lately (about wanted to be saved from my problems). Your insight is very inspiring!