Friday, May 22, 2009

The Words We Say--Part 2

Success!

People have tried for a long time to define success. What is it? How do you achieve it? When do you know you're there?

Well, I can now answer all of those questions with the following incident:

At dinner this evening my children all said something they appreciated either about one of their siblings or about me. In fact, after the initial brainstorming, they were thanking each other for little kindnesses they remembered receiving earlier in the day. "Thank you for coming to check on me when I fell on my bike," he said to his brother. He was sincere, gracious, thoughtful, and kind.

My hope for the future has been rekindled. My efforts at teaching were rewarded. And for a moment we all knew without a doubt that the words we use are powerful forces for good.

I remember hearing somewhere that motherhood happens in moments. This was exactly that-- a moment of success, and it was GLORIOUS!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a fabulous moment! I need to remember to write those experiences down so I can remember them better.