Friday, June 12, 2009

I have forgotten what it's like to be a kid

That's not an entirely a bad thing, after all I have to be the responsible one who makes sure we all survive etc. Yet, I'm not sure it's an entirely good thing either. I have this memory of sitting in the back seat of the car and saying to my mom, "When I'm grown up I'm never going to forget what it feels like to be a kid."

I felt misunderstood, and unimportant. I was sure that as soon as I was old enough to be in charge of myself things would be great because I could call the shots, and make my own decisions. I would finally have things the WAY I WANTED! That's funny now, but not to my kid mind, it wasn't.

One of the things that reminds me that I don't think like a kid anymore:
My daughter sleeps in her swimming suit so that she'll have it on ready to go in the morning.

I don't know an adult alive who would be comfortable sleeping with those straps boring into their shoulders.

Of course I totally did that! "So I can be ready in time."

1 comment:

Kristi said...

I loved this!!! And older adult once told me that older people should be more tolerant to the young because we have been in their situation/circumstance before, and they have never been in ours. Your post was such a good reminder for me to try to see life through Ethan's eyes more!!