Sunday, June 1, 2008

Parenting Breakthrough Part 2

On the front cover of the book Parenting Breakthrough: A Real life solution to teaching your kids to work, etc. etc. ( I don't remember the rest of the title of the book, because I'm still working on first things first--and that's getting my kids to work) there is a picture of a boy scrubbing a toilet. This picture of Breanne cleaning the toilet reminds me of the cover of the book. Well, in theme at least. She is cheesing a little, and you'll probably notice my toilet paper missing from the holder (does anyone else lose these mysterioulsy when switching out for a new roll? Oh dear.)
The point of all this is I'm having a few wins now that Courtney's kids are here setting a good example for us. And now that school's out we can spend our time like the book says, training the kids to work around the house. I'm so very proud of all of them for doing many jobs yesterday and starting out on a good foot for summer.
I'm pretty sure this is Collin's first time at working at any one thing for over 2 hours (well, except maybe writing his book which doesn't seem like work for him.) He was out in the sun slaving away with his dad looking on teaching him how to make nice lines. Kudos to Ross for his patience and teaching! Especially since when I went out to show Collin a few spots he missed he truly came undone and wanted to quit. Ross, on the other hand knows just how to talk to Collin to get a great response. I'm confident that I'll learn in time.


I can see this may be an ongoing post theme because I can think of lots of things related to this topic. Ok, I'll post two more ideas now.

After cleaning the bathroom Breanne said, "Ok, now I'll tell everyone not to use this one."

Then as I was talking to Connor about how nice it feels to have a clean home where the spirit can dwell with us I said something like, "Don't you feel so good when we work together?" And he said well, "Yea, when we do it and your not yelling at us. I always like that better." Well, I like it too!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Go Moores! I can always tell my kids that I am not the only chore Nazi around :) I am a firm believer in teaching my kids how to work - more. (Even though they disagree.)

Natalie said...

I love that she doesn't want anyone using the bathroom after she has worked so hard to get it clean. That is exactly how I feel after I mop the kitchen floor.