Sunday, June 8, 2008

Salem Spring Triathlon

It's been a year since Ross and I competed together. It's hard to believe I haven't done any races since then, though Ross did the Logan marathon in September. I've missed it more than I wanted to admit. And even though I'm still nursing the bulging disk in my back I was able to go out and race fast and have fun. (Here's to our physical therapist friend Derick's good advice to stay in shape by doing the eliptical trainer, swimming, and some stretches he's given me. I really appreciate him.)

Yesterday Ross and I competed in the annual Salem Spring Triathlon. It was so much fun! The bike portion ended up being cancelled because of rain, which was pretty good news for me. What was supposed to be a 750 m. swim, 13 mile bike and 5K run ended up being a 500 meter swim and 5K run. Because of my injury I considered just doing the swim and not finishing the run, but the atmosphere was so fun, I just had to give it a try. Two girls in my heat (and also my age group) finished faster than me on the swim. They were cooking! I was going pretty hard too. According to the results it looks like I may have passed one of them on the run. To make things even better the woman who got first overall was in my age group. So...when they tally the results by age groups her name isn't considered since her name is already among the top three overall placements. http://www.milliseconds.com/ResultsQuery2.php?varRaceID=1049&urlVarType=Age%20Division%20is That means the winners for women 35-39 says Jennifer Moore. That's pretty cool.

Too bad we didn't get any cool pictures since we left the camera in the car (safely out of the rain) which was parked far from the race. That's ok though, because as far as a date out with my husband it was great time spent. Infact, I can't think of much else I enjoy more than a fun race and a little boost to my ego. The icing on the cake was to hang out with one of my former swimmers, Analyn, who was competing in her first ever triathlon. She beat me by two minutes or so, which is awesome! That 25-29 age group ended up being really fast with her in it.

For another few days I'm on top of the world. And I'm more motivated right now than ever to sign up for another race sooner than a year from now. So I really want my back to heal! Would begging God help? (That's probably a whole 'nother blog post--I'm seeing all kinds of other blessings in my life because of my back injury, I'll tell you about it sometime. Doesn't that seem silly the way the Lord blesses us with stuff we want that we didn't really know we wanted because we wanted something else? If you followed that you are gifted because I'm truly rambling.) But for today I feel happy. (And lucky for you I usually don't blog on those down days.) Here's to hoping you feel happy too.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Way to go! I can't believe you can be hurt and still run under an 8 minute mile. Wow!

jlynsky said...

Way to go! I'm so happy for you. See, I knew that you could do it and I'm glad that your back feels good. No running until the WB! I want my friend to race with me. I'd miss your rambling too much!

Molly said...

Congratulations Jen. You're an inspiration. I want you to get better fast too.... I want my bike buddy!

JED MAIL said...

Only one bulging disk? That's it? Get back on your feet! Get moving! (I know what it's like. I had two herniated disks and one fragmented disk when I had my surgery. It was the most miserable time of my life! I have great compassion on anyone with back problems. Hey! Look at me now! Maybe you can come to Iraq, too! Jed)

Hama Roska said...

Thanks for being an inspiration to me. Only after meeting your family was I inspired to even try a 5K. I'm glad I did.

Thank you for mentioning the blessings you are getting from your back. I look forward to reading that post. It's a perspective I should take part in.