Sunday, June 22, 2008

Wasatch Back--Way to go Mountain Mamas!

We did it! Starting out on Friday morning and finishing on Saturday afternoon our team, the "Mountain Mamas" ran a total of 190 miles on the beautiful mountain roads from Logan to Park City Utah. This is a picture of us getting packed and leaving home. It was fun so fun to see all the team vehicles decorated and a few teams like ours wore costumes. Of all the team names some of my other favorites were, "Not-so-macho-libres", "Bunions of Steel", "Our wives think we're at work" and Collin's favorite was "Homestar runners."


If I was giving prizes to each of the ladies in my van Elaine would get the award for sewing all of our costume aprons. She would also get the award for the "best blue tights" unfortunately I didn't get a picture of those (she wore them for her middle of the night run) and she would also get the award for the "funniest to be around when sleep deprived." If I ever get a chance to pull an all nighter with Elaine I would jump at it in a heart beat. Kudos go to "No Pain Elaine!"

Jen L. gets the award titled, "Most likely to be recruited by another team" Not only did she race up the most intense hill climb "Ragnar" passing men on her way, she really did have a guy on another team tell her he wanted her on his team next year. He loved that she was cheering him and letting him know how many miles left. She also had some banter with another male team that went something like, "You can't hit on us, Can't you see from our team name that we're all mamas" to which he replied something like, "I don't see any Mountain Papas around." I think next year, maybe we will have a team the "Mamas and the Papas."

This is Jan, Jen's sister-in-law. She gets the award for "most life experience." She says she ran her first marathon in her mid 30's but didn't really get into running until the last few years, she's now in her 50's. She also is the "least likely to know her name and address." And she and her husband also get the "relief award" for providing their home in Midway where we slept from 6-8am and had a warm shower. That was heavenly!


Rachel ran the most miles with other runners. She was the most likely to be on the course getting us water and taking care of us as we ran. She is extremely upbeat and positive. You can count on Rachel for a smile and support. Her awards are "Team cheerleader" and "Water girl"



Barb's husband gets the "papa" award for being signed up to tend 8 kids during the race, though it ended up being only his 4. (So, sorry about that Carol) I wish I had gotten a picture of him at the finish with the 4 kids and the dog all to support his wife at the finish. Barb also gets the award for "mostly likely to be left behind, or to think she's left behind." We'd never leave you, Barb. We need you!


Here's a picture near Midway after Elaine and I are all finished, while Jan is running. I'm sad we never did manage to get a picture of the six of us together. We do have a picture of the 12 of us (including the six in the other van) from the finish line--just not with my camera. All in all I had the time of life! One of my favorite parts was lying next to the lake in my sleeping bag under the moon and the stars. I love the beautiful world the Lord created and I felt so blessed to enjoy it with great people doing something that I truly love. What else can I say? Amazing! I love you guys!

5 comments:

jlynsky said...

Thank you for posting such sweetness. Such great memories! I loved every bit of the relay expecially the comraderie with such great ladies. You rock!

Molly said...

Congratulations to all of you! 190 miles is INSANE and no wonder you were all sore today at church. It sounds like you all had a great time.

Natalie said...

You guys totally rocked it! It was fun seeing you guys up there. Way to go!!

Tavia said...

I loved the narrative and the great photos! Thank you for sharing a piece of your lives. You all are great examples and so inspirational.

Unknown said...

You guys rock! "We're not worthy, we're not worthy!" Seriously, kudos to you all. What an accomplishment!