Friday, August 15, 2008

Olympic Dreams

Don't you think watching the Olympics brings out the dreamer in all of us?

I spent most of my youth believing that someday I would swim in the Olympics. Just for fun, I found this picture of Mary T. Meagher who was an idol of mine from the 1984 Olympics. She's one of the greatest swimmers of all time and she was even nice enough to write me back when I wrote her a letter in the 7th grade.
In 1996, I sat in the stands and watched swimming at the Atlanta Olympics, which is the closest I've ever really came to living that dream.


I've realized over the last few days that I'm not terribly unique in having the dream to compete in the Olympics. In fact, I'm coming to the theory that maybe there's a tiny bit of that dream in everyone. Don't you agree?
For example, when Ross heard during the Opening Ceremonies that the oldest athlete competing is from Japan. He's 67 and in the equestrian events. Ross said, "Well, there's still hope for me, perhaps in a shooting event. It may not be too late to be in the Olympics." We chuckled at the thought of Ross taking up shooting in order to become an Olympian.

Then this morning as I was chatting with some neighbors about the Olympics. Bridgette mentioned that her husband was trying to imagine what sport she ought to do. He had decided probably not volleyball because he likes her face the way it is and wouldn't want her to get smashed in the nose. "Badminton! That's my husband's choice for my Olympic sport." We laughed again. Is it funny because we all really have a secret desire to compete in the Olympics?
So what's yours? What sport would you choose to become an Olympian if you were to dream big? I shared mine in a previous post. When I was watching the cycling the other day I felt like a kid all over again. Unfortunatley, it hasn't motivated me sufficiently to get on my bike recently. (After Natalie's husband crashed I've decided to wait until I get a working cell phone before I go out again. So glad he seems to be doing better now.) In the meantime I'll be dreaming. How about you?

10 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh I don't even have to think about it...gymnastics! I took for a long time when I was little and totally idolized mary lou rhetton!

Molly said...

This is going to sound terribly conceited, but I always thought that whatever I wanted to do I could end up winning a gold medal. I don't have the body structure to do most of what the olympics require, but that doesn't stop my mind from thinking that I could do it.

I think my parents must've raised me right to believe in myself like that (either that or they raised one he(ck) of a snotty brat).

Jenn said...

Molly, I believe in you too. So which event will it be? Do you harbor a secret desire to be an Olympian? My theory is that most of us do. What do yo think?

Natalie, I love Mary Lou Rhetton too!

The Barbers said...

I'm not an olympian at heart. I wonder if I did as a kid but don't remember. I don't remember my parents ever getting into the olympics. I can do without the pressure and stress. I couldn't even watch the floor routine for Nastia and Shawn with my eyes open the whole time! I have quite enjoyed seeing other people win though, especially when it looks like it means the world to them!

Unknown said...

I would love to play tennis. But then, I dreamed of going pro in tennis. Too bad a torn ACL messed that up. Hmmm. I haven't played in way too long either. I think I'm inspired to go pick up my racket. To be realistic though, I might have to go for an Olympic medal in something like air rifle (is that even a real event?)

Jason said...

I'd have to say skeet shooting! Which may seem a stretch for those who know me because I don't own a gun and have only been shooting maybe 3 times in my entire life. I even took a concealed carry class but then realized at the end it was pointless because I didn't own a gun to conceal and carry.

Really, though, I went skeet shooting with my brothers-in-law and father-in-law a month ago and had a blast. Now all I have to do is convince Jamee to let me buy a really expensive skeet shooting gun (it helps you hit the clay pigeons - I promise)! With that in mind, I may not be ready for the 2012 Olympics. But hey, I can still dream, right.

The real clincher though with skeet shooting is that realistically, I could get in shape for that!

Jenn said...

Jason,
I didn't even know skeet shooting was in the Olympics?! Thanks for the smile.

Jenn said...

I did this same poll during family dinner the other night. I got some surprising responses. Breanne said gymnastics. Connor said pole vaulting, or steeplechase, but he didn't call it that only explained what I think it is they do for that. Ross' brother Kevin said shooting. Ryan said the modern pentathlon, and here's the big surprise Ross' mom said Trampoline. Perhaps we all have dreams that no one knows about. Inspire someone to live their dream today.

Jason said...

Jenn, you know what is even funnier, than not knowing skeet shooting was part of the olympics (don't worry, I didn't know either until I thought, "Hey I wonder if skeet shooting is an olympic sport"), I actually searched for it and watched almost the entire competition on the internet.

Though I spent most of my time watching Michael Phelps, I also saw some volleyball and of course the skeet shooting championships. Though I forwarded through some of the slow parts (you may say, "Aren't all the parts in skeet shooting slow?" I'd say, "Not for an officiando like myself), I actually watched through to the final shot and gold medal winner.

I remember saying to myself over and over again "great shot!" (Obviously there were a lot of shots).

John, Liz, Kylie, Hunter and Emma said...

John and I were just discussing this the other day. I told him I'd always wanted to be a gymnast in the summer olympics and a figure skater in the winter olympics. We then began skeeming what sport we could get Hunter and Kylie to do so we could say our child was an Olympian. Watching Michael Phelps mom cheer for him was so touching. Since I think my chances at the Olympics are Nill I'm going for the kids. Who knows?