Wednesday, September 30, 2009

"Like Powdered Sugar on Brownies"

It's the season's first sprinkling of snow and this is how Collin described what he saw. He wasn't trying to be flowery, or anything. It was just what came to mind when he saw the mountains ahead of us.

But to me his description of the mountain was so much more. It was the epitome of this boy that I struggle to understand. This boy that has his head in books... This boy who would rather read a book at recess than play with friends...This boy who works best when listening to a book...This boy who has been referred to by his teachers as the "walking dictionary."

In that moment I saw him as so much more than all of that.

I saw him as an emerging author, a great thinker, a natural. He's a talented kid, and his mom doesn't always recognize that. I took a moment to let him know I really like the way he thinks. I don't do that often enough.

Of course, the only other explanation, is that he just thinks of nature in terms of food.

Hey, there's gotta be some genius in that! And we haven't even seen the meatballs from the sky movie, yet.

2 comments:

Tavia said...

I love his description! I'm going to remember that. One day he will use his talents and knowledge to his advantage, but for right now, that may be hard to see.
As a child, I had to be told in the summer to "quit reading and go enjoy the weather".

Unknown said...

That is so my oldest child. Which is why they get along so well, I guess. :)