Sunday, March 16, 2008

Brotherly Love

Ross and Collin have been gone to CA for over a week to a conference. Breanne and Connor and I have really enjoyed ourselves with a little less structure, less mess, less fighting and less laundry. I hear Ross and Collin are enjoying themselves as well. They call occasionally and we'll talk to them on the phone. I might talk to Ross for 30 seconds to Collin for 1 minute and then Connor and Collin talk for 10 minutes. I think they really miss each other. I know Connor does.
(Ok, truth be told we've all missed them dearly and are glad to have them home.)

Last night Connor talked me into taking him to the store to buy a coming home present for his brother. Connor still has money from Christmas and his birthday that he hasn't spent. He tells me, "I've really missed him, and I want to buy him something he'll like...maybe a game boy game." I agreed to take hime to the store if he kept the cost low--NOT a gameboy game, but somthing small, something around $10. (He still had his wal-mart gift card for $10 from Grammy.)

Should I allow Connor to spend HIS money from Grammy on a present for his brother? I dediced to allow it, hoping it will encourage love, service, generosity, after all it was HIS idea not mine. Connor picked out a nerf gun and target for his brother for $6 over the amount on his gift card. I agreed to pay the extra. Connor says, "This will be a good gift because Collin will have a target to shoot at instead of shooting me." Perhaps altruism doesn't really exist.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ha ha ha! That sounds like such boy logic. I'm just impressed he was even willing to consider the idea to get his brother a present. If that conversation had happened in my house, you would be picking me up off the floor where I collapsed from shock.