Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Getting Faster

Over the last several years I've watched a few of my friends go from being non-swimmers or non-bikers, or non-runners to real athletes. The progression from my point view (and I've done this too) goes something like, "I want to lose some weight. I'll try running." to "I need a reason to keep exercising--I'll sign up for a race." then eventually "Now that I know I can race, I wonder how fast I can really go? How can I be faster?"

Of course everyone is different, and the goals and motivations for participating in adult athletics vary from person to person. I'm not discoutning the fact that it's just FUN. Why would I do anything else?

But somewhere along the way the desire to improve and somehow be faster than last time is one of the things that keeps us going.

Which brings me to today's post. Today I was faster on my bike than I've ever been before. This is only a tiny decieving because I'm not in any better shape yet, though I still hope to be someday. (Biking is where I have the least experience and the most room for improvement.)

Today I hit 44mph on my bike going down Suncrest. Ross wasn't exactly happy with me when I told him except that he's glad I came home safely. It was the first time I didn't ride my brake going downhill (and I actually pedaled a little). There's something very exhilirating about going down the mountian on my bike breaking the speed limit. Call me a rebel.

2 comments:

Molly said...

I'm not going to call you a rebel. I'm going to call you crazy. I'm with Ross on this one....(sorry)....be careful out there. One little rock, dip in the road, and you won't be going so fast anymore.

(I'm sure it was exhilerating though).

Tavia said...

Good to see that you're having a blast. Hopefully you didn't learn those mad downhill pedaling skills from me...cuz I do it all the time. I love the speed! I don't even like to tell people the fastest that I've gone for that very reason that people think you're crazy! Wahoo for you.