Saturday, July 12, 2008

I am a Champion Donut Rider!


As far as my ego goes, I'm picking my races pretty well these days. Ross joined the Rotary Club not too long ago and ended up volunteering today (with the kids) for their fundraising event, the Tour de Donut. It's a 7 mile course done in 3 loops for a total of 21 miles. After the first 7 miles you eat as many donuts as you want, and for each one you keep down you get 3 minutes off your time.

I wasn't really sure I wanted to eat donuts between laps, so I just decided as I went along. Since my chain came off in the first few minutes after the start I was behind from the beginning. After the first 7 miles I opted for no donuts which helped me pass a lot of riders. The next time around I thought I'd try it. I'm all about experiencing new things and I figured eating a donut in the middle of a race was an experience worth trying.

It was a little harder than I thought it would be. Half a donut would have been fine but eating the last 1/2 became somewhat of a burden, and sticky. These were excellent Krisy Kreme donuts, but I just didn't enjoy it like I might have had I not been in such a hurry. I managed to ride pretty fast, at least fast enough to be the first woman across the finish line. Woohoo! My time was 58 minutes.
No cool prizes this time, just a trophy and bragging rights. They actually gave away 2 awards, one for the first one across the finish line, and another with the adjusted donut time subtracted. The first man across the finish line finished in 47 minutes, I think. The other girl who won with an adjusted time ate 3-5 donuts, I think, with an adjusted time of 48 minutes. The guy who won ate 25 donuts with an adjusted time of negative 3 mintues. Now that's impressive!

Ross and the kids get the award for best volunteers on the course and best cheering squad! Even though the kids didn't ride they did get some donuts at the end while we waited for awards. Collin-5, Connor-3, Breanne 3. Next year hopefully we'll all ride.


4 comments:

Jenn said...

Special thanks to Molly for taking my contrived donut picture! I forgot to mention she gets the award for fastest pregnant rider. Way to go!

Blogging to Blog said...

Eric wanted to have someone do the riding part and he would do the eating the doughnuts part, but he had no volunteers! Good job on the race though!

Jenn said...

Jenny,
If we had only known. Molly rode and didn't eat ANY donuts, not even afterward. Maybe next year they'll let us make teams! With Eric's help maybe I could get negative time. LOL.

Natalie said...

You are amazing! I love reading about all of your adventures...it makes me want to keep exercising (maybe someday I can keep up with you)