Sunday, July 13, 2008

We're Not Exactly an Ensign Picture--Yet!

I was inspired today in Sacrament meeting by our neighbor, Robbie Corniea, and his family. He's going on a mission next month to Pennsylvania and today he spoke to us in Sacrament meeting. The truth is I'm inspired by the Corneia's often. I think I've even told Marianne as I've walked by her house in the morning and all the kids are out in the yard doing yard work together, "You inspire me." It's true. I look to their example and think, "I can learn from this." I'm not kidding when I say, they at times, look like a picture from the Ensign. You can imagine, can't you, a Saomoan family working together in the yard.

I don't think I could get a picture of my family working together into the Ensign. You can just imagine it, can't you? Somebody is kicking someday while the other one hit 'em back. I'd be yelling in the background. The pictures in the Ensign of family prayer are funny to me too, only because I wouldn't know what to think if everyone actually kneeled in a circle, with their eyes closed. In the pictures, of course, everyone's hair is done and they have clean clothes on. That alone would be a feat.

I guess that's why I felt especially inspired by President Shorter's words at the end of sacrament meeting today. He said something to the effect of, "Keep having family prayer with your family, even if your children are poking each other and saying, 'He's poking me.' Collin even looked at me, surprised that Pres. Shorter would know so well how it is in our house and said, "He's definately talking about OUR family." I had to smile. Then Pres. Shorter said something like, "Continue to teach and love your children, and hold family home evening. It will be worth it. And someday they will thank you." I was inspired, by this, because even if my family doesn't look like a picture, there is STILL Hope.

Then I got an imagine in my mind of my family looking like something from a magazine. It's years from now when Collin is a grown-up boy, putting his arms around me, and saying, "Thank you, Mom." Even now it brings tears to my eyes. And I can imagine being a very proud mom and listening to him speak in Sacrament meeting about the things his parents have done that prepared him to serve a faithful mission, and I'm absolutely sure it will be worth it.

I know I risk getting preachy here but I'll share the scripture in Alma 26:12 that touched me in Sunday School giving me even more hope, "Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever." This vision of Collin saying "thank you to me" would pretty much be a miracle, that I'm starting to believe in, and I'm ready and willing to work at it with the Lord's help.

P.S. I'm adding this reminder (for myself) to acknowledge the hand of God in all things in my life. "Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men?" Alma 26:16
Thank you.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Thanks for such inspiring words! I loved Sunday too...It made me want to try harder for FHE and prayer time.

Ash said...

So you have updated your blog a lot since I was last here. I don't know which to comment on. Good job on champion donut riding and don't get down on yourself about parenting. Stay positive. I think you're doing a great job.

Jason said...

Thanks for sharing the details of your life in such a genuine and heartwarming way. I laugh and then poignantly feel inspired to be better. Thanks for putting it out there for others to experience!

Unknown said...

My family is just like yours, I think, between the hitting and and the fighting. Sometimes those imagined futures can be real life-sustainers. Since I've been having a really crummy week, I especially appreciate your inspirational blog. Thanks!