Saturday, July 26, 2008

Why Blog? Who has the time?

Why Blog? I've taken a couple weeks off of blogging and reading people's blogs as an experiment. Is my life better without blogging? Am I actually addicted to blogging? And why do I blog? I have some answers, though, not too many.

My first hypothesis was if I didn't read blogs I would actually read books again, which I haven't done much of this summer until now. (I thought not reading much in the last few months had a lot more to do with the constant chaos in my house, not my blog addiction.) I'm happy to report I'm currently on page 492 of Like a Fire is Burning by Gerald N. Lund. (Yes, I know I'm about 10-15 years late when compared to those who actually read and the The Work Glory series when they came out. Call me a late bloomer. Ok, so I have a new found interest in Church history.)

But...I've really missed reading blogs and I've been miserable. I think I'm addicted. I'm a long time food addict, who until the last several months thought I was on top of this only to realize I've been turning to food to help me feel better every day again. The results of that= most of my clothes don't fit. I also have an exercise addiction. I have to have more and more of it for it to keep having the same positive effects for me. Though, I prefer my exercise addiction over my food addiction, I'm afraid they probably feed each other a little.

Ross says, "Can it really be an addiciton if it's basically good for you?" I say it's the worst kind, and here's why. Even though something may be good for me, it may not be good for me in the amounts I do it.

I know should can be a bad word. I've been told by counselor types that I should on myself too often. But face it if I should be taking care of my children, or I should be reading my scriptures, or I should be cleaning my house but I keep finding things to distract me (like reading blogs) than I'm probably out of integrity with me and less happy than I would be if I was doing what I should.

Last night for example, my 5 year old flooded the bathroom because she was mad I put her in there for a time out. My response, have some ice cream. Don't feel better, yet? Have some more. (I've digressed.)

Here's the interesting thing. Even though I've taken a break from reading blogs and writing in mine I've been miserable. Taking a break from blogging hasn't helped me be more happy, anymore than taking a break from exercising does. Which brings me to my question of why blog?

I decided awhile back I want to inspire people to be their best selves. I felt like some of the things I posted here might help do that. More importantly, though, might be the good effect it has on me when I focus on the good things in my life and then highlight those things as I share. I'd forgotten that recently.

I think I'll get right back to blogging. (Maybe after I get caught up on my scripture study, and house cleaning. Or maybe once the kids are back in school. Oh, how that will be a happy day!)

8 comments:

Natalie said...

OK so I have missed your blogging...you do inspire me to be better -- so don't take a break for too long (I need to feed my addiction of blogging too!)

Unknown said...

Addictions make life interesting, don't they? And how come we can never get addicted to reading our scriptures? Or cleaning house? Or smiling at people? Or...or...or. You *should* be happy school's starting soon. LOL. Oh blissful day!

Molly said...

I'm with Natalie.....I miss your blogging. I kept checking your blog while you were on vacation thinking "surely she'll update after putting in that entry about being addicted to blogging, right?

You're keeping me in suspense.

Gabe said...

Jen, I was speaking with a friend (Steve F.) at the gym about your post as well as your blog…I have found both to be very interesting and fun to read. By the way, I also like the fact that you have some really awesome music to choose from on your blog - Chariots of Fire! If that in the back ground does not motivate someone while reading something I don’t know what would.

We were discussing your issue of “shoulding” all over yourself. It’s a dilemma that I have found most people have a very hard time with. Instead of determining “should” I have found it useful in my life to determine “could”. It’s a deliberate process for engaging the mind and seeking a productive activity.

So, instead of saying, “I should be spending more time (enter your choice of activity here) instead of blogging”, I would encourage the question, “What COULD the productive results of blogging today be for me?”

If you can answer that question in the affirmative, schedule some time and be productive. If you can’t answer that question satisfactorily, move on to the activity that you can answer that question in the affirmative – because for you, there is no productive ends to be accomplished (if you can’t answer in the affirmative that is ). For someone else though that question may be able to be answered very easily and clearly in the affirmative, thus for that person it is an immensely productive use of time.

If you feel that you can answer in the affirmative to multiple activities, then prioritize those tasks or activities and get to blogging when the others are accomplished, again so you don’t feel that you are sacrificing some activity of more value or productivity for some activity of lesser value or productivity.

If the only reasons you can answer the “could” question is that it is fun, or entertaining, or that you enjoy the exchange and discussion, then don’t feel bad about engaging in the activity during “fun time” or “down time” in your day’s schedule. If you don’t have such time scheduled….well then I’m sorry.

I don’t know if that will help you as I assume you are probably already engaged in this decision making process on a daily basis. For me, it has been a formula for that has really helped out.

I think it’s possible that you see reading and posting on blogs as a waste of time because you have not really asked yourself the question “What could be the productive result of blogging for me today?” And if you have asked that question, maybe you engage in that activity before accomplishing the other activities that for you are of higher productive ranking? Good luck.

Gabe said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jason said...

Jenn, I have been reading your blog posts for the past hour (at least) and should probably be in bed right now (its late - look at the time stamp). But I am okay missing some sleep right now because I am having a lot of fun reading, laughing and being inspired.

I think you hit upon an important truth. Great blogging (which you do), like any great interpersonal interaction is inspiring to yourself and others. This is especially true when your primary intent is to provide value and inspire others, not to just tell your story.

The cool thing is that when you seek to inspire (or just give) first, the telling your story part is truly rewarding as others tell you of how it inspired them. You have aptly articulated what I was trying to say in my post The Me Monster. Great job once again!

Jenn said...

I don't know Jason, it sounds to me like you might have a blog addiction too. Of course, I'm just kidding since you are the one with a PhD in...what is it in?

Unknown said...

I'm back-reading your blogs, and I've found them very inspirational and uplifting. It's nice to see some of my struggles and frustrations mirrored in others lives, because I know I'm not the only one out there who has them. It's nice to see someone overcoming or trying to overcome them because then I know I don't have an excuse to give up on them.

So, now, the question is: should I get off the computer and go clean my house? ;)Unfortunately, the answer is 'probably', but I think I need some more uplifting 'mom' time, first, LOL.