Thursday, July 17, 2008

Raging Waters is a Winner

Papa invited us to his work party at Raging Waters yesterday. What a Blast! Not realizing that this would make such good blog material I left the camera home, so there won't be any pictures. What a bummer. Now no one else gets to see how adorable or adventurous the kids were. I can attempt to tell you, but I have a feeling it's one of those things you'd have to experience to really understand. Suffice it to say, Collin declared it "His best day this year!" And the other 2 kids agreed.

I had a great time too, but I'm experiencing some loss--the loss of having little children. How can I really complain that having all the kids able to ride every ride is somehow bad? Haven't I waited 11 years not to have to sit in the kiddy pool while everyone else experienced the heart pounding adrenaline rush that I was missing? Why am I sad that my children are doing exactly what they ought to do--grow? I'm not really sad, I guess, maybe nostalgic is a better word.

When Breanne wanted to fly through the air and drop 100 feet I was the only one saying, "Are you sure?" Well, that's not totally true, Ross said the same thing. But after watching all of us do it, Breanne would not be denied. Didn't she understand the rest of us were scared silly as we carried our mat to the top of the slide?

I suppose it won't be the first time I watch my little girl climb confidently forward, while I sit anxiously on the side waiting for her safe return. If she's faces every challenge with such ease how could I really be sad? And if she is a little scared near the top of a challenge, I hope she'll continue to move forward, like she did yesterday, close her eyes when she needs to and then open them again right near the finish with the same kind of wide eyed wonder and awe. And when it's all over I hope I'm there to see every smile as her face beams with pride, and she says, "Let's do it again!"

I'm inspired by my children and grateful for the lessons that I learn as their mom. Much love and thanks go out to Papa for inviting us.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Hi Ross and Jenn. I've enjoyed looking through your blog. You are amazing athletes and great parents! I can relate to the feeling of struggling with the kids growing up. Some days you wish they were all off at college, and others you wish they could be babies forever. You have a beautiful family, and I hope our families can all meet someday!