Saturday, April 5, 2008

Cyclists are Awesome! I gotta become one.

I finally got my bike off the trainer in my basement and on to the open road this morning. True to form, I couldn't get my tires pumped without calling my incredible cycling neighbor down the street to help me. After trying for 45 minutes on my own, I finally got the gumption to call Mike. Even at 8:30am on Sat. morning he happily greeted me in his driveway and showed me what I was doing wrong with the bike pump. Within minutes I was off on my first outdoor ride of the season.

I usually like to go riding with friends. First of all it's fun. Second it's safe. And third, I just have a hard time getting my butt out the door unless I have someone counting on me. But this morning I missed the group from the Rec center because I was having so much trouble with the air pump. By the time I got it all figured out they were long gone so I went on my own.

The wind was obnoxious, but for the most part I was enjoying myself out on the trail by Thanksgiving Point until...my chain fell off. Stan, from the Velo club, had taught me how to keep riding and get the chain back on by continuing to crank the wheel. It didn't work today. I managed to twist my chain so that nothing I did would put it back on. As I prayed and walked carrying my bike next to me I called Ross on my cell. (So glad I brought that today) Eventually some awesome cyclists came by and asked if they could help. Remember I told you, cyclists are AWESOME! (I don't even know their names still, just Tracy and her husband from Draper, who've both run the Boston marathon in the rain) Anyway, they were like angels who ended up taking my bike apart in order to get my chain untwisted and then were able to put it back together again right. As I thanked them for spending their time and effort with me and giving me great help he reminded me of what I already knew. "We would expect the same from you." I'm thinking, well, that would be great, if I knew for example, how to put air in my tires.

Mostly I just want to say thank you... To all the incredible cyclists out there, including, Stan, Mike, Tracy and Tracy's husband. For now I'm still a wanna-be, but my resolve is stong, someday I'll learn enough to give back and when I do I'll truly be a cyclist.

No comments: